Monday, March 3, 2008

An interesting weekend

Deep in the midst of my 2ww I had a girls weekend away. Big mistake. Of the 5 of us there, only 1 could drink, meaning 3 are pregnant and I am abstaining, "just in case". I was not mentally prepared for this because 2 of the announcements came this weekend.

For my 1 friend, this is her third. Of all of my friends, only 1 has had anything close to having IF issues. Everyone else is a Fertile Mertile, which is wonderful! But the real shocker came from my other friend who announced her 14 week pregnancy. For privacy's sake, I won't mention too much because if she ever read this, I'd feel badly. It's just that given her financial and other factors this pregnancy creates a lot of uncertainty.

I was really torn how to react to her. On the one hand, it felt like a physical blow when she told me, but I didn't cry :). I want to be happy for her, but this could also be the factor that holds her down financially, forever. I feel like I'm watching a trainwreck. "Welfare" came out of her mouth this weekend.

On the other hand, just because she's not financially stable and is potentially setting herself up to be a single mother, does she just let her biological clock tick away? a really hard question! Understanding the feeling of wanting a child as much as I do, who am I to even think she should not have a child because she can't afford it?

At this point, all we can do is be supportive, which is what I did all weekend. But there is another part of me that wants to shake her by the shoulders and tell her to grow up. She has a child on the way now, and she's got to plan for it!! Her life is not her own anymore. Ok, now I'm being preachy.

Thanks for letting me vent virtually. This post probably does not make much sense to the reader, but I needed to get this off my chest.

1 comment:

Adriane said...

Ugh...that must have been a tough weekend. I don't care how happy you are for your friends, having three of them pregnant, in the midst of your TTC, is really tough. Add the friend that is not financially stable in the mix, and it's an impossible weekend.

Hope this one is better and by now you're that much further into your 2ww!! Yay!